Friday, May 1, 2009

So little Time So Much to Do

hello everyone, right now it is friday at around 2 pm. i am at my aunt and uncles house getting ready for shabbat dinner with more of my cousins and relatives. i have to admit im a bit nervous because i have never met any of these people, but my madricha Michal tells me its all about experience. this past wednesday (april 29th) was Yom Hatzmaoot, or in english Independence day, our group visited the beach in hertzalia for the second time. At night we went to a party with other children our age and some younger outside in hod hasharon with fire works and bands, it reminded me a lot of the forth of july back at home. We stayed out late but as we woke up the next morning we realized how much earlier we all wished we would have gone to sleep. yesterday, thursday (april 30th) was my first trip to Jerusalem. We first went to a place called The City of David, we watched a 3D film explaining the underground tunnels David took to take over the city of Jerusalem which at the time was called Judah. Then even cooler, we actually went in those exact tunnels, they were dark and very small but i would have to say it was pretty awesome. Throughout the day our teacher Alan teaches us about the stories and the people who were where we are standing 3 thousand years before, its so amazing to think about. After this we went to the most holy spot in the world, the Kotel, also known as the Western Wall. We all put on our long skirts and seperated from the boys and walked in. I saw many women around me, some with children, some with older people, and some by themselves. Honestly as i walked up i wondered what to pray for, my moms best friend had given me this small white book with a prayer to say when i got there but i had left it in my dorm. We will be going back and i will bring it then, but i was upset, my first time at the Western Wall and i had no idea what i was supposed to be praying for. I looked at all the women around me, some had books, some had notes, and some had nothing like me, but i felt like they had something to pray for. I dont want to share my prayers that i did end up saying but i want to share how i felt, i felt so grateful. Grateful that i didnt have anything huge problem jumping out at me telling me to ask for someone specific or to ask for forgivness, this thought made me happy. Then i ended up Thanking G-d for everything i had and of course much more, but this is getting too deep for me. After we walked around Ben YaHooda street, i didnt end up buying anything i wanted to save my shekles, all i bought was schwarma, which was really delicious like always. Well i have to go. thanks for reading :) roxy

3 comments:

  1. Hi Roxy. Glad I found your blog,I'll be reading....
    1) Jebusite Shafts?? I guess they haven't changed the material too much in 25 years...but if the history has lasted 2,000, I guess 25 is not so long.

    2) I had a teacher named Alan too, but can't possibly be the same one....

    3) When I went to HSI, someone sent me with the address of Dr. and Mrs Moshe Gordon, Rosh Pina St, in Netanya. I don't remember ever meeting up with them, but maybe you should. Charley, any relation?

    Have a great time roxy, be good. david t

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Roxanne,
    What an exciting experience you are having.
    I so enjoyed reading about what you are learning and seeing. I look forward to viewing your blog as you learn even more.
    Ms.Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Roxy,
    Your comments about praying at the wall were very touching. I am enjoying your writing style, too. I have never been to Israel. Am enjoying seeing it through your eyes.
    Patti Taylor
    CJC

    ReplyDelete